Hi:

  ah,yes.  Therein lies the crux of the problem.  Is it a cittern because it
looks like one or is it a mandola because it's tuned like one?

  I like Doc's idea of citterns not being any one instrument bur rather a braod
family.  Mayb even the criteria should in fact be vague.

  Brad

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  In einer eMail vom 28.10.2006 20:32:32 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

  If we are going to include the English Guittar and Portugese Guittara as
Citterns then I feel we should also include flat-back Mandolas and Mandolins, I
agree.  A while back in this discussion somebody put foreward that the common
features of a Cittern were a flattish back and wire strings.
If the above are to hold true, then the awkwardly-named 'Irish Bouzouki' should
also be included as a type of Cittern, shouldn't it ?

Kevin,

I think you've fallen prey to the "Snapshot View" of instrument development.
Remember that the original GDAE-tuned mandolin was the Neapoitan, which (like
earlier mandolin types) is a lute-buiilt instrument, and that the "Irish
bouzouki" is a variant of the Greek bouzouki (same number of courses, same
scale length, same variability of tuning), which is also a lute-built
instrument.

So, from the point of view of their inception and development, flat-back
mandolins and Irish bouzoukis are in fact lute-type instruments that have
adopted one feature that is typical of the citterns - the flat back. One could
argue that the flat back of the Irish bouzouki is more infliuenced by the
ubiquitous guitar than by the obsolete cittern! It's also good to remember that
the Greek bouzouki (as played in Greece) also has a number of different tunings
associated with it.

Cheers,
John D.