On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 at 23:07:55 +0100, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 17:11, Tomasz Papszun wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 at 16:04:13 +0100, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> > > I've just installed and been playing with 0.86.1. When freshclam updates
> > > the database, it helpfully says:
> > >
> > >   "Clamd successfully notified about the update."
> > >
> > > in its log. However, clamd gives no indictation (in its log) that it is
> > > aware of and has loaded the new database.
> >
> > If a few minutes after updating database you haven't in clamd.log lines
> > like these:
> >
> > Wed Jul 13 01:02:11 2005 -> Reading databases from /var/lib/clamav/
> > Wed Jul 13 01:02:13 2005 -> Database correctly reloaded (36431 viruses)
>
> Indeed. But some indeterminate response

That response is sufficiently determinate.

> some minutes later

Clamd can be in the middle of some job and may not want to be
interrupted "out of the blue sky" ;-) .

> is not the same as
> an immediate "clamd: freshclam reports new database available" message which
> would be useful and comforting. This is my feature request :)

If you wants really immediate action, reload it. But it's not needed.

> > > This makes me nervous... I would hate to
> > > think that clamd will only start using the new definitions when I reboot
> > > the machine (every 4 months or so).
> >
> > Of course not. 'man clamd.conf' and notice SelfCheck.
>
> I was exagerating my fears in order to demonstrate ... Oh, never mind; the
> subtleties of english humour....   ;)

I really appreciated your sense of humour and I like English humour.

"  (the television warms up: a man is sitting behind a news desk)
man:  And now the penguin on top of your television set will explode.
   (the penguin explodes)"
                              ("Penguin On The Television"))  ;-) .

> > BTW, the first problem you wrote about, should rather be asked about on
> > clamav-users ML, not clamav-devel.
>
> Got out the wrong side this morning, did we?

I got out the very right side, in fact :-) . If I had got the wrong one,
I wouldn't have even responded to that message because the level of the
question was for -users list, really ;-) .

> Happens to us all occasionally ;)
> (This is a feature/enhancement request and bug report relevent to clamav
> developers, surely?)
>
> > Good luck
>
> With software of this quality, luck is thankfully not required :)

http://montypython.joolsc.net/downloads/sounds/GOODENF1.WAV

;-)
--
 Tomasz Papszun    SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland    | And it's only