On 2009-12-22 14:38, Renato Botelho wrote:

>>> LLVM got disabled because you don't have Perl:
>>>
>>> configure: error: perl is required but was not found, please install it
>>> configure: error: ./configure failed for llvm
>>>
>>> So ClamAV build nojit.c, instead of bytecode2llvm.cpp (where the user had
>>> the problem).
>>>
>>> Does FreeBSD build packages for i386? Debian for example builds for i486
>>> AFAIK.
>>>

>> Meanwhile I found out that minimum CPU for FreeBSD <9.x is i386, and
>> i486 for 9.x.
>>
>> Is there a way to force ClamAV being built as i486 in the clamav port
>> itself?
>>

> Just one more information, we have llvm available under FreeBSD ports
> collection, is it possible to use it instead of embedded one?

The LLVM in the FreeBSD ports has same problem (built w/o multithreading
support).
At this point its not possible to use an external LLVM, since I am not
using LLVM 2.6, I am using their SVN code that will become LLVM 2.7.

When ClamAV is released we'll probably have to settle with an LLVM
release, and at that point it may be possible to use the system's LLVM,
instead of the builtin one.
But either way we have to ship the parts of LLVM we use, since we can't
expect people to build LLVM in order to use ClamAV. Building the
upstream LLVM takes
far more time than building just the parts we use in ClamAV.

> Just for curious, why clamav is now using llvm? I meant, an embedded
> one? Before it it took less than 2 minutes to build clamav, now it takes
> almos 20.

"Before" ClamAV didn't use LLVM at all, it is needed for the upcoming
bytecode execution feature planned for 0.96.
We can't use LLVM 2.6, because I needed some features not yet available
there.

Its an optional component, in the sense that if your system doesn't have
a proper C++ compiler (or if you pass --enable-llvm=no) then ClamAV will
fallback to an interpreter mode (that doesn't require LLVM), and LLVM is
not even built.
The interpreter will be slower than LLVM, but it will "work".

Best regards,
--Edwin