I think he might mean 'clean up a machine which is wormed/rooted.'

The answer, of course, is 'reformat, reinstall from original media, and
restore known good backups.'

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 6:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Clamav-users] Clean Viruses?

On Monday 03 November 2003 10:42 pm, Mark wrote:

> Cleaning is one of the most needed functions I think.

Please can you explain why you think this?

I agree that ten years ago it was worthwhile removing the bootsector viruses
from floppies, or some of the .exe trojans which would add themselves to
executables, but these days it seems to me that if you receive a virus, that
is all you receive, and there is nothing left if you "clean" it.

What viruses do you currently receive which can be cleaned from a file which
is useful afterwards?

Regards,

Antony.

--

If books were designed by Microsoft, the Anarchist's Cookbook would explode
when you read it.

 - Mark W Schumann
                                                     Please reply to the
list;