Lucas Albers wrote:

This is a hack, but I run monit on my servers to restart failed services.
Works well, it's a hack but it sure jacks my perceived uptime.

Tomasz Kojm said:

And that was it. There hasnt been another entry since and freshclam
quit after it. I supposed it is acceptable that due to network
issues, freshclam may be unable to update the database, but it
definitely should not die because of it.

Hmmm, I just do a freshclam from chron rather than let it run as a daemon - as a new user (I just downloaded, installed, integrated with my anti-spam/anti-virus proxy - home built, today). Is doing this in any way a negative thing?