On 3/16/04 7:29 PM, "Doug Hardie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In case it might help someone else, the approach I used to find the
> problem was to use a test system and pass a large number of directories
> (The FreeBSD source code) to clamdscan and let it beat clamd up for
> about 5 minutes.  Then I let it finish what it could and return to its
> "idle" state.  At that point it was using all the available CPU time.
> I entered it via gdb and let it single step around awhile to find out
> where it really was and what was going on.  Ktrace was not helpful as
> it kept showing a poll with a time period of 0.  Apparently the poll is
> in the read code.  A messy way to test, but it worked.

Doug, in some limited testing here is what I've found so far:

I did not have rndcontrol using any IRQ's, so I set that to use the IRQ's
from two network cards and the hard drive controller.  Upon doing that
(rdncontrol -s 3 -s 5 -s 7) it seems as though the problem happens less, but
still happens from time to time.

By compiling clamd with "--disable-urandom", so far, clamd has not hung at
all.  While not optimal, clamd is stable at least.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

My computer NEVER cras