On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 21:14, jamie wrote:

> > You probably saw some of my issues.  I'm using RH 9.0 as well and have
> > problems with spamd SegFaulting.  I personally think it's pthread
> > related, but have zero data to back it up.  On my system, clamd handles
> > 20K or 30K messages in about 12 hours and then dies.  I upgraded to 0.70
> > cvs on Tuesday.  clamd stopped segfaulting, but would lock up and
> > clamav-milter would then die.  I've had to disable it until I figure out
> > what to do to make it stable.
>    I'm having the same problem on FreeBSD 4.8. After about 15-20 hours
> clamd will just die. First time it happened I got the SegFault error. Now
> it dies after approx 15 hours without any error messages and it leaves no
> core files behind.

Well I stumbled across some old information that changed slightly my
thoughts on things.  I found several kernel-oopses on the day that all
my problems appeared.  The oopses were involving sendmail,
spamass-milter, and clamav-milter.  I do not know if it was related to
clamav or not, so I have restarted my testing from scratch.  Please read
on.

>    I started out running version 0.70 but I've cut back to 0.68. I noticed
> 0.70 has a new thread manager, so I thought that may be the problem.
> I'd really like to know what's going on, also.

I installed CVS from 03/31/04 on one of my mail servers and am
monitoring it.  It ran fine all night long (which is a record for me).
I had to reboot the machine due to some hung updatedb processes
(decending into /var/spool/mqueue/.hoststat there were some weird
corruption issues which I think had to do with the sendmail process that
oopsed the week earlier).  I'm now monitoring it closely again.  We'll
see how things work.

My point with this is that, though it's still early in my testing,
current CVS seems to have made improvements in stability for me.  Maybe
you will be as fortunate.

Blue skies...                   Todd