Quoting jef moskot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:
But changing the name after the fact would just confuse people more.

I completely disagree. Hardcore Clam users are more likely to understand the reality of the situation and realize that the ClamAV team has to call the viruses SOMETHING. Usually, that's the same name everyone else uses, but sometimes it isn't.

Great for netsky since almost everyone uses it. But what about viruses that have multiple names from the other vendors and the media? For the first week, SCO (clamd) was called novarg by most, until the media took off with mydoom and that became the new name. Should clamav have migrated along from SCO to NOVARG to MYDOOM just because the others came along later and in that order?

There's maybe a small amount of confusion for a couple days, and that's
that.

Most viruses don't last for more than a few days anyway, so this only applies to the rare cases (like lately with the virus wars over netsky et al).

But we are constantly being asked by casual (or new) users why ClamAV
doesn't pick up Netsky

Yes, but the user is just being stupid. They are not getting infected with netsky, so obviously it is picking it up.

what the heck "SomeFool" is, etc. Many of those

You don't think you'll get that question even if you use the more common name for viruses?

Google hits are "WTF is SomeFool?".  A lot of work could be saved by being
more user-friendly.

Try looking at them again.

Seriously, what have we to gain from using an obscure name?  OK, so, we
have the moral high ground, but that's not really the focus of the
product.

The focus of the product is to stop viruses, not to name them with a popular name.

Other than some kind of issue with logging things by virus name, are there
any sensible reasons to not use the same name everyone else in the
computer community is using?

Only when clamav names it before anyone else. Even then, clamav is willing to rename it if it can be done quickly, before the current name becomes established, in my experience. It is only when there is a large gap between the clamav name and the popular name that they don't rename it.

Also, as I've pointed out, not all the AV vendors agree on the names.  It
usually isn't clamav against the world (as it appears with netsky).  It is
more normal that there are 2, 3, or 4 other names for the virus.  And you
never know which will become the most popular until days or weeks after
you name it.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Eric Rostetter

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users