* Scott Call <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20040812 01:55]: wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:
>
> >I was wondering how many clamav users came across this article:
> >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1633536,00.asp
> >
> >The author says, among other things: "Clearly the biggest need these days
> >in
> >an anti-virus system is for scanning e-mail, and here's where ClamAntiVirus
> >scares me. According to the manual, mail support is turned off by default
> >because it 'is still under development and may cause stability problems.'
>
> I know when I first started using clam (with exiscan) the ScanMail
> directive in clamav.conf caused semi-frequent crashing, so the
> recommendation was to use the "demime" facility of exiscan to drop
> attachments as files and then scan them, but since 0.70 or so I've not had
> trouble with the ScanMail directive.  Indeed body scanning and now HTML
> scanning in the CVS version have helped catch a lot of the newer nasties
> out there.

So does that mean you no longer use Exiscan's "demime" facility, because,
if I understand this correctly, it is sufficient to pass the mime parts
to clamd for scanning. Using it and ScanMail would appear to bring some
"competition" between Exiscan's demime and ClamAV's ScanMail.

Could someone clarify this point?

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |