On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 6:29 PM [EDT], Matthew Thomas  wrote:

> I was wondering how many clamav users came across this article:
>
> The author says, among other things: "Clearly the biggest need
> these days in an anti-virus system is for scanning e-mail, and
> here's where ClamAntiVirus scares me. According to the manual, mail
> support is turned off by default because it 'is still under
> development and may cause stability problems.' Yikes!...In certain
> circles ClamAntiVirus is highly respected, but that's at least
> partially for lack of anything else to respect."
>
> I haven't had any stability problems myself and was just wondering
> if users perceive clamav to be as experimental as the author
> suggests.  I know we haven't reached a 1.0 version, yet, but it's
> all been good for me so far.

So far, I've been using ClamAV with exim/exiscan and it runs
flawlessly.

Under my Windows port, it runs fairly well, with small glitches here
and there.  Most of the problems stem from issues with Cygwin (more
like issues with Windows not being up to par with the rest of the
operating systems out there).  However, I do know of at least a dozen
smaller ISPs and hosting services which are running my ClamAV For
Windows port with various mail apps (MX Guard, etc), and are quite
pleased with the results (especially for the cost).

ClamAV has come a long way since it began.  I'm sure if people who
question its capibilities and such spent as much of their time helping
track down bugs and improving it as they do knocking it, things would
go even further.

On a side note, I was approached the other day by an unnamed company
asking what it would take to bolt on a real time scanner into ClamAV
For Windows, so that they could replace all of their big name desktop
antivirus apps with something more open and lower costing.

The potential for ClamAV is limitless at this point.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The Abusive Hosts Blocking List
http://www.ahbl.org