On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 16:40, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> so in addition to our servers, there are some 50 client machines all
> querying the clamav databases, probably every hour most likely more often
> if I know M$ lovers.
>
> Making all users aware of the proxy cache will now mean we will only have
> one machine check and download. Everyone else can get it from that server.
>
> How do I (as admin) stop internal clients going outside for updates and
> force them to use my cache. (Once I set it up).

Many ways.

> They have all just installed it themselves when their commerical scanners
> license ran out and I can't really stop them from connecting to my www
> proxy on port 80.

You can stop them connecting to your proxy - it may not make for happy
clients very happy though.

You could:

- Block access to just the databse update site
- Set a policy for using clam updates, and apply it.
- Add a DNS authoritative domain on your INTERNAL DNS so updates get
directed to your own server.
- Use a redirector on your proxy server.

I'm sure there are other methods.

-trog