Damian Menscher wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but they're not talking about not
> rejecting.  They're talking about not bouncing (sending out non-delivery
> notifications in response to EVERY virus). There's a huge difference.  I
> think you'd be hard-pressed to find a legitimate company suggesting
> making email unreliable.

 The easiest way to distinguish this is if you are scanning the mail AFTER
you have accepted delivery of the email, then discard, do not bounce.

 However, if you are filtering before accepting the email, then reject.

 As always, it is down to personal preference. I will admit that I
would prefer to discard, as an email being returned to someone who is not
the original sender with a virus appended can be another avenue of
propogation if their virus scanning software is not upto date, or if they
have no software installed.

 Needs must, and while the RFC's are an oft quoted standard in these
discussions, they themselves can be extremely contradictory of each other.
 To be RFC compliant is preferable, but in honesty, most mailserver
admin's are fighting a non compliant threat.
 It is of no use preaching etiquette to someone (or something in this
regard) which is already breaking the rules. If the virus creators are
going to break every rule they can, why should one fight them fairly.

Tha dunt ger'owt fo nowt.

Matt