On Sep 22, 2004, at 12:01 PM, Brian Bruns wrote:

Security through obsecurity... How comforting.

Misguided yet implemented by so many...

Either use the DB as the authors tell you you can use it, or don't use
it at all.  It is very simple to understand.  How would you like it if
you were the ones writing the virus defs and I did the same to you
after you told me that it was against the license?

Ouch.

I thought the question was *whether* he was breaking the license and what the interpretation actually is. It's not like he was trying to steal the work of others...he was quite open in acknowledging it and sounded like he wanted to work with the ClamAV people on resolving it. There's enough other companies out there doing this *without* even extending that courtesy, as I understand it.

Unless you are the maintainer of the database with the license in question? (I honestly don't know) Who is in charge of it, the "owner"? Best bet is to have that person make the decision.

-Bart