> > The database is not a script.  It is a binary compilation.
>
> It's not a script, true, but it also is not a binary compilation.  If
> you look inside any of the database files unpacked by sigtool (sigtool
> --unpack) you'll note that they are actually a plain text files, one
> line per entry.  So I think the previous posters point about them being
> analagous to scripts in that they are their own source is valid.

Fortunately the way this project works is that users upload samples
of viruses, not signatures.  That makes the signatures an original
work of the project and should be defendable; there is an implicit
copyright on the work even if it is not explicitly asserted.  The
signatures clearly reflect 'sweat of the brow' effort; they are
not simply a collection of other people's work.

If the converse had been true, and the project admins wanted to restrict
use of uploaded signatures, then they would have needed to assert a
compilation copyright in the database text file from the start.  If that
had not already in place, they would have had a lot of difficulty
restricting distribution, had it come to court, and if they wanted to
start asserting a copyright at a late stage in the project they would
have had to re-collect the signatures from user contributions after
getting an explicit transfer of copyright from contributors.

I am not a lawyer but I did once go through a very similar exercise.

Bottom line, should anyone ever get serious about legal action in
a project like this, be prepared to spend significant sums of money on
lawyers.  6 or 7 figures for something like this.

I really objected to paying our lawyers more for a 1hr consultation
than I earned in a month.

PS If the database is collected/built/stored in Europe then all
bets are off.  Totally different game from America.