Just to update my own post:  I've since found that clamd is shooting to 99%
cpu quite often. I've identified a few files that cause this.

For example, I've identified one particular 440k .exe file (aparently an
SNES emulator) that takes almost 2 minutes to scan, pegging CPU usage at
that time.  As a comparison, the latest 12meg mozilla installer .exe scans
in about 6 seconds.

Production systems are Solaris 8 on sparc, but I've also confirmed on my
linux desktop.

Am I the only one seeing this ?