On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Eric Worthy wrote:

> Anyone have any advice on what I could be doing wrong or how to improve
> the performance of the scanning?

We always get a great performance boost in software by adding
-march=(yourcpuhere) -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -static to the build lines.
If you can build static binaries an additional CPU register is available
for function calls (EDX iirc).  If you're a quad p3 xeon, you want
-march=i686.  You might also play with benching -O2 vs -03.  We seem to
get mixed results depending on the nature of the software.  Some perform
worse at -O3 and except for some weirdness in loop unrolling, I'm not sure
why O3 would give slower performance.  Make sure that this happens for at
least clam and clamd.  (caveot: some optimizations can create instability
so test it).  Clam uses many libraries like libz and rebuilding those
dependent libraries may help as well (may not matter if staticly linked?)

Another point to look at is disk o/i bottle neck.  Mail has a tendency to
write-copy-write-copy-write especially when you have a scanner and an MTA.
This creation and deletion of spool files makes for a lot of journal
traffic (ext3/reiser, assuming Linux) to the hard drive.  Unfortunately,
journal traffic is largely synchronous so it can rollback transactions in
the event of a failure.  Filesystem noatime,notail options are your friend
here.

You can get some mileage by putting your MTA's temp dir on a shmfs/tmpvs or
other type of VM filesystem if you're on a different OS to reduce the disk
i/o cycles.  By freeing I/O cycles, the cpus can do more *real* work and
not wait precious cycles on io time.  On a 2.6 kernel, vmstat will tell
you io-wait time (wa) get a feel for where the bottle neck is.

Hope this helps.  We're constantly fighting io wait here due to the virus
spam and message spool/accounting database and currently our bottleneck is
definitely disk, not cpu (3.2ghz p4-ht).

--
Eric Wheeler
Vice President

http://www.nsci.us/