James Lick wrote:

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

I have several mail relays on Sun Sparcs with Solaris 8 and 9
running exim, exiscan, and clamav. All the same version.
top shows clamd uses 5%-40% CPU time (it was always
among top 10 highest CPU users).

I use clamd on a Solaris 9 sparc system and it hardly ever climbs above 1% CPU. It only processes about 50k messages per day though.

Um ... try 300k a day. Each :)
Not that I'm complaining about Solaris 9 performance though.
I know that Linux is generally faster than Solaris (at least
ultralinux.org says so, although they did mention "faster is
relative").

I'm just surprised with the BIG difference, that's all.
I only expect a small improvement and yet got
a huge performance boost.
Right now I'm wondering whether this difference
is clamd-specific or generic.

Regards,

Fajar