R Jansen wanted us to know:

>I'm beginning to think that's the problem. It's a PIII 450 MHz machine with
>384MB RAM. Like said the avarage rate was about 50 infected mails a day.

Really easy fix here for resource shortages, add another 256 or 512 Megs
of RAM.

>But now the bsmtp server of the ISP delivers about 50 infected mails in one
>connection.
>After handling about 20 mails the clamav-milter process isn't closed
>properly before the next mail is handled wich seem to cause al the other
>mails to go thru unscanned. The process that isn't closed then starts
>consuming CPU and doesn't close at all.

How many MaxThreads do you have set in clamd.conf?  If it's 20, pick it
up.  If it's a really large number, lower it.  See if either has any
impact on things.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin