On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:58:46 +0000
Rob MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:10:28 -0600, Dan Bongert
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So, I've been using ClamAV quite successfully since the days of .66,
> > and I've got a new problem. A user of mine is sending out a large
> > (but not humongous - ~500kb) that is filled with lots of equations
> > and other complicated stuff from Outlook (though there are problems
> > with other mailers too).
> >
> > What's happening is this: user sends email, and while the
> > connection is still open, sendmail passes the message via milter to
> > Clam, which scans it for viruses. A minute and a half later, Clam
> > has decided that the email is virus-free,  sendmail sends a "250
> > Message accepted for delivery", and the message is sent.
>
> What sort of hardware have you got and what sort of load is it under?
>
> On my largely idle 1 GHz box with 512 MB of RAM I see a ~550 KB PDF
> file scanned (through MIMEDefang) by both ClamAV and F-Prot in about 2
> seconds.  I haven't seen anything take longer than 10 seconds, even
> with SpamAssassin.

It's a pretty beefy box (though not even close to cutting-edge): dual
PIII 1.13GHz processors, 1GB of RAM, FreeBSD 4.8. It's not
particularly processor-bound--the load average is usually less than
1, and top only reports 162MB of active RAM. I'm wondering if there
might be something weird with .doc scanning (for macro viruses)? That
wouldn't be a problem with PDFs...

--
Dan Bongert                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SSCC Unix System Administrator