Nigel Horne wrote:

On Tuesday 22 Mar 2005 14:27, Rob MacGregor wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:33:03 +0530, Nabin Limbu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

What are the benefits of using 3rd party software like Mailscanner, Mimedefang
and
many others with clamav? Why do people use when it can be done simply with
clamav-milter and spamassassin.

Efficiency - it's quicker to pass the mail to a single milter and let it handle it than to use multiple milters to achieve the same result (depending, of course, on your choice of milters).

That is too much of a generalisation to be true.

We use MailScanner because it offers additional tools, delivery options, routing, and filtering above clamav. We also do not have issues with the clam daemon that some have had. Julian is exceedingly responsive to his community, the level of support and help on the MailScanner is second to nothing I have seen in Open Source Software.

I'm *not* saying anything bad about clamav, we first used it as test while we searched the budget for commercial AV software and never saw a need for more. This list has proven to be exceptional as well.

Clamav is great, MailScanner just makes it even better.

DAve

-- Dave Goodrich Systems Administrator http://www.tls.net Get rid of Unwanted Emails...get TLS Spam Blocker!