Chris de Vidal wanted us to know:

>Is our situation that foreign?  I was half expecting someone to tell me
>"We have a 5TB FTP server and can scan it all under 40 minutes with .25
>extra load average!  You just have to do this..."

Most people with stuff that large have a three teir system:
1) AV installed on the desktop, auto-updating virus definitions.  This
usually implies a commercial AV solution.
2) AV installed on the server, auto-updating virus definitioons, doing
on-access scanning only.  This usually implies a commercial AV solution.
3) Secondary AV installed on the server, auto-updating virus
definitions, doing full system scans on set intervals.  This can be a
commercial solution but ClamAV fits VERY well into this slot.

If the scan is occurring during normal business hours, then yeah, you
need to nice the heck out of it to keep it from sucking away
performance.  If you know a bit about c, you could add a commandline
option --delay=x where x is the number of milliseconds to pause between
files.

Good luck!

<12 line signature snipped>
--
Regards...              Todd
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: