On Tue, 03 May 2005 11:05:28 -0400
"henry j. mason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       hi clamav-users;
>
>       i've been using clamav for a long time now, and love it
>       dearly. however, once in a great while i get burned by
>       outdated definitions. at one point it was just me not
>       paying attention to the freshclam logfiles (i needed to
>       upgrade) but more recently freshclam just failed silently
>       and stopped logging. i actually had to kill -KILL the
>       freshclam process, and restart it. once that was done,
>       it grabbed the latest updates and all was well again.
>
>       however. i need to know when freshclam fails silently.
>       i know freshclam includes options to alert on errors,
>       but i'd rather have some other process looking at it
>       and making sure it's doing the right thing. has anyone
>       tackled this problem? or is this just too obscure?
>
>       my systems are:
>       intel celeron 1.1 ghz / 512 mb / ide
>       debian stable/testing with linux 2.6.4
>       clamav/freshclam 0.83-5
>
>       ultrasparc IIi 440 mhz / 512 mb / scsi
>       debian stable/testing with linux 2.4.18
>       clamav/freshclam 0.83-5
>
>       other than the hardware and kernel these two systems
>       have identical software configurations.
>
>       i'm using amavis from debian testing, which is rather
>       ancient but has given me no grief. both these systems
>       failed around the same time (april 24) whereas two other
>       almost identical systems (also an intel and another
>       sparc) kept working perfectly.
>
>       any ideas? i'm thinking about cobbling together something

There was a bug (causing random hangs) in freshclam that has been fixed
in 0.84:

Thu Feb 17 16:13:29 CET 2005 (tk)
  * freshclam/freshclam.c: do not call logg() in daemon_sighandler()
                           (patch by Trog)

--
   oo    .....         Tomasz Kojm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  (\/)\.........         http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg