On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:09 pm, René Berber wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > I've just installed ClamAV last night and after reading through the
> > archives I setup a cronjob to restart freshclam on boot.  I got a chance
> > to test this today since my box decided that it wasn't going to play
> > anymore, after the reboot I noticed two freshclam processes running, one
> > with no variables and the other as I had set it up in the cronjob with -d
> > -c 24.  I take it then that the cronjob is not necessary to restart
> > freshclam and that all variables are read from the /etc/freshclam.conf
> > file.  Is that a correct assumption?
>
> You have it all wrong, the -d parameter means (man freshclam):
>
>        -d, --daemon
>               Run in a daemon mode. This option requires --checks.
>
> So you either run freshclam once with -d or run it from cron without -d.

I realize that, my cronjob reads "freshclam -d -c 24
which runs in damon mode and makes 24 checks in a 24hr period.
Or, at least that's the way I interpreted the man page.

> And your statement about "setup a cronjob to restart freshclam on boot" is
> wrong, if you want something to start on boot you set that on the
> /etc/init.d directory and related /etc/rc?.d (or equivalent since this
> changes from Unix to Unix), you don't use cron for that.

When using webmin to setup a cronjob you have an option:

When to execute
Run on selected schedule .. Run at times selected below ..

I have it set to "Run on selected schedule - when system boots"

> If you don't know what you are doing then start by reading the
> documentation.

I read the man pages, maybe I misinterpreted them!

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org