On Thursday 05 January 2006 08:08, Shayne Lebrun wrote:
> > You have no idea where the report is going. You certainly have no reason
> > to believe it is going to the sender. You should disable this feature.
>
> Sounds like he wants to inform the recipient, not the sender.
>
> "Hi, you got a mail from so and so, but it had a virus, so I deleted it.
> If you're actually expecting mail from so-and-so, please give them a call
> and let them know that they might have a virus.   Otherwise, go about your
> day."
>
> Still probably bad form, as you'd be spamming the living daylights out of
> the poor recipient.

this is why you simply reject (5xx) the message at the gates.

that way, if it's a valid sender, they'll get the message back, and see that
it didn't get where it was going.  and if it's not a valid sender (ie, it's
the virus connecting directly) it will just go to the bitbucket.  If,
however, the virus has been relayed through another server, that server might
bounce it back to the 'sender'... but that's the other server's problem, not
yours.  They're the ones who relayed the virus.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen ++ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the beginning was The Word and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
  -- The Word of Bob.