We've been running f-prot on Imail/Windows. No problems, no users reporting email viruses.
But the content-scanning on Imail has been really bogging the box down.

So we set up an amavis/spamassassin/ClamAV content-scanning box in front of the Imail box, with the intention of turning off f-prot/win in favor of clam/fbsd.

1. Internet

2. MX box (multiple)

3. amavis/spamassassin/clamav box (multiple)

4. Imail box  (multiple)

When we saw spamassassin and ClamAV showing tagged spam and blocked viruses in the maillog, we turned off f-prot on the Imail box.

A few hours later, we started getting complaints about users' desktop AV detecting email viruses where they have never reported them to us under f-prot. We're trying to get the details of those msgs and what viruses they had. The f-prot-good vs clamav-bad difference was clear and quick. But we're sure where the problem is. We have assumed clam is a good as f-prot.

We've turned f-prot back on, to see what f-prot detects that gets past clam.

Assuming we've made some mistake in configuring clamav (rather than clam not detecting viruses that Norton desktop detects) or some other screw up, any suggestions?

Len

http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites