On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, jef moskot wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Bit Fuzzy wrote:
As for the situation, we've been using ClamAV for going on 3 years now,
and I have never (I repeat never) seen this occur.

Occasionally there are major virus flare-ups (and often there are phishing
scams and such) that occur before an appropriate signature is in place.
In these instances, it's not unreasonable to try to clean out user inboxes
before they have a chance to do something they shouldn't.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]

It seems to me, that if the mail has been in the system for any appreciable amount of time, it has been accessed at least once already. If it was infected, it would no doubt have been caught by then.

I have never witnessed an instance where I needed to manually scan mail after it was received. I agree that there is a possibility that a new or improved 'phishing' sig might be available but that hardly justifies the effort required to rescan every bit of mail. The days of someone routinely replying back to a 'PayPay - Your Account is Disabled' or whatever are in serious decline.

--
Gerard Seibert