On Fri, October 20, 2006 4:50 pm, Noel Jones wrote:
> At 05:50 PM 10/20/2006, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>> It is a morphing problem so the question is, is ClamAV
>> moving with it? I don't know and thought it worth asking. I still
>> don't know.
>
> Most likely no one had submitted a sample of that virus
> previously.  Since the author tested it on VirusTotal, it would have
> been auto submitted to the clamav signature team and likely detected
> within hours of his initial test.  Since we don't have the exact file
> in question, we can't confirm just when it was submitted or added.
>
> Yes, clamav-devel-20060429 is a little old, although that
> probably isn't a factor in this case (but we'll never know).  The
> signature file was apparently current at the time of the test.
>
> Words of wisdom:
> Clamav has an impressive track record of quickly detecting
> current malware circulating via email.  It is frequently (but certainly
> not always) among the first scanners with signature updates for new
> viruses.  This is one such case where other products detected a virus
> that clamav missed.  It would have been interesting if the author had
> tried rescanning the file at some regular interval to see when other
> products did start to recognize it.  Clamav depends on community
> support for submitting undetected viruses.

Now that would be a virus scanner review worth reading:
  - how many viruses were found upon initial install?
  - how many of the undetected ones were found after updating the
definition files?
  - how many of the still undetected ones were found after 1 day?  one
week? two weeks? a month?
  - how long until all viruses were detected?

Would require a good sampling of viruses, a bunch of machines, and a
lot of time to do correctly, though.

----
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]