Don Russell wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:

>>> Because you don't scan outgoing mail I have to scan incoming mail
>>>  from you.
>
> That makes me think of two things:
>
> 1 - The corollary to that....
>
> Because I don't trust your virus scanner, I scan incoming mail from
> you.
>
> Therefore your scanning of outbound mail is of limited value.
> Obviously the authors of viruses won't scan their outbound mail, so
> scanning inbound mail is needed.

That only means we're both doing the best we can to fight this problem.
I'd like to see a viable rationale that demonstrates that is a bad thing.

> 2 - Cause and effect You say, "You don't scan outgoing mail so you
> have to scan incoming mail". Are you saying that if you knew the mail
>  was already scanned, you would not scan it? How do you know if it's
> been scanned? If you received an e-mail with a header
> (See corollary above)

We have evidence in this thread that some people do not scan outbound
mail. That mandates I continue to do so. It is the simplest possible
configuration to scan all mail rather than to set up a trust system. My
systems are scaled to do this well. So you're sitting out there
wondering what the advantage is for scanning outbound mail and
apparently don't see that it offloads my system for you to do so. Why?
Because the total volume of mail drops dramatically  when people send
only legitimate mail. When I say you I am of course referring to the
global messaging admins, not you personally.

One of my mail servers in Europe rejects 95% of all mail it receives. I
didn't ask for that mail - it was sent from dirty systems or from
domains that don't properly lock down port 25 outbound. As a minimum it
is a lot of wasted bandwidth and wasted system resources because
somebody else isn't doing their job.

> Scanning outbound mail may reduce the proliferation/spreading of
> viruses, but scanning inbound mail is necessary because the very
> people you are protecting yourself from are the ones who "won't play
> fair".

Or perhaps they're just foolish and can't play fair.

dp