> > His specific problem is he lacks the skill to install and manage the
> > product.
>
> It's rather sad to see that this elitist attitude - which was
> commonplace on Usenet back in the early 90's - is still alive and well
> here in 2006. I'm not sure why people who otherwise are enthusiastic
> supporters of open source don't see how this damages the community.

Everyone is a volunteer - the best that can be done in an all-volunteer
market place is being done now. In this case it was not good enough for
the OP. He could have offered to pay somebody to teach him or an employee
how to package things to his liking but he did not. Like you, he expects
that somebody will hear the whine and respond with a turnkey package. And
in a year when an upgrade is needed he will wonder why that volunteer
abandonded the project and left all his customers hanging, never realizing
they he has no customers, as he volunteered his labor.

Open source is a beautiful thing but it does not come with a promise of
endentured servitude on the part of the maintainers. If one cannot do what
is needed to install and maintain a product one should hire it out or find
another product. One should not get pissy with the volunteer support group
that is a keystone to this product's success.

Better than ranting here about it you could write the turnkey package for
him in the spirit of Kum-Bay-Yah and good fellowship. He's desperate for a
solution as long as he doesn't have to put any effort into it. As for providing
alternate solutions, that what Google is for - this is 2006, afterall.

dp