I'm not sure how this addresses my problem stated below...

"I am installing clamAV on IRIX 6.5. I have already read the postings in
the archives regarding errors with gcc and cc during builds. Not my
case.

I found how to gunzip and "un"-tar the clamAV on IRIX to build from
source.  I ran the configure script as shown in
www.clamav.net/doc/latest/clamdoc.pdf.  I also ran make as shown, but
only a small part of the build completed before it produced an error
"ld32: ERROR 33 :  Unresolved text symbol 'gzgets'"."

Seth Bush
Information Systems Security Manager

CAS, Inc.
5021 Technology Drive