Thomas Spuhler wrote:
> Hello: I just joined the list and found this thread in the archive.
> It seems, I have a very similar problem. Clamscan is using up to 100% cpu and
> memory lately and sometimes cannot even keep up with the e-mail flood.
> It happened twice in about a month. I deleted all signature files, did a
> freshclam and it went away. Is these coming from borked signature updates?

Clamscan has to load all the tables each time it is run and this is a
huge startup penalty. Clamdscan with clamd running (daemon) removes this
load. Clamd loads the tables once and is then optionally streamed data
or told where to find files to scan. Depending on how you use clamscan
it is possible that clamdscan will drop right in. Clamscan in a
real-time email scanning situation is a very bad idea. Another option is
clamav-milter if you're using Postfix or Sendmail for your MTA.

dp