I've been using ClamAV happily for years, but we're finally moving to a
modern server and our heavily modified amavis-perl script no longer works
and is significantly difficult to debug that it makes sense to modernize.

In the past, we've not dealt with clamd or any daemonized version of
amavis, simply because we had the cycles to burn and there seemed to be no
reason to use something that requires something else to babysit it, so
despite years of experience with clam, I've never messed with clamd.conf
and other such things.

Currently, we accept all infected mail, and quietly quarantine it.  We
don't refuse it at SMTP connect, although I might be able to be convinced
that that's a better idea.  Still, I'd like to maintain the current
behavior, since that's what everyone is used to.

So, basically, all I need is a replacement for a perl script that throws a
wad of text at clamscan and then either passes it on for normal delivery
or stashes it away in a quarantine directory, with a note passed on to a
local admin address in the latter case.

Since amavis seems to have morphed into a monster with a million config
options, links to SQL databases, and it's own separate milter that you
need to run along with it(!), I was looking at clamav-milter, which looks
simple and also comes with the benefit of a community I'm comfortable
with.

I can't find any decent documentation on it, however, (if I'm missing
something obvious, please point me at it!) and it seems to jam mail at
SMTP connection time rather than accepting and scanning later.  I've found
references to using it to quarantine messages, which would be perfect, but
I haven't seen the docs to explain how to do that.

Also I've found some explanations of how to compile clam to get the
milter, but those were in connection with FreeBSD ports, and I don't like
to have to wait until an update has been bundled before I can deploy it.

Any advice would be welcome, including "STFU and RTFM", as long as you can
point me to a decent manual.  Thanks!

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator