On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 08:52:30AM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> pseudo-binary code would slow down clamav. Clamav is already slower than
> e.g. drweb, at least on out systems. Do you want to have slow antivirus? I
> don't.

Who cares if it scans 100ms or 20ms. I prefer features and stability more
(which ClamAV might or might not have yet). Are you a talented coder or what
makes you think that such thing as "pseudo-binary" (I invented the word, I
don't know if it even means anything) would slow down things if properly
designed?

> > I don't care what the method would be. Be innovative. Create a safe method.
> > :)
>
> > Distributing "whole sources" to fix smaller (but serious) issues seems a
> > waste.
>
> distributing whole sources is not problem, if they could be distributed w/o
> virus db. Removing database from rc4 changed the .tgz from 20 to 2.7 MiB.
> Compressed diff (patch) from 0.93.3 to 0.94rc4 is 277k.

You don't seem to understand my point at all. Why bother downloading stuff
and compiling for such case? Read below.

> > For example, some zip exploit. Just disabling the zip engine and
> > hoping that users upgrade soon is ok, but not very high-tech. It would be
> > wonderful to just get the core zip engine updated together with signatures.
>
> I don't think it's safe. If we have the fix, it should be patshed asap.
> Disabling the zip engine is only a hotfix which may cause viruses to be
> passed through (yes, workstations should be using different AV than
> servers).

Ofcourse DCONF is only a hotfix. But nothing guarantees that users will
update to the new patched version soon!!! A much more sophisticated way
would be to distribute the fixed component, instead of making some users on
holiday lose zip functionality for a long time.

I know, it's just a fantasy. ClamAV does go forward, but not at the speed
that dozen well-paid developers could do. :)