Sorry, don't mean to argue, but I didn't say subscription is relevant to
marketing in this case.  Those two separate sentences were two separate
thoughts.  This is not a marketing list.  This is a support list.  Were it a
marketing list, I would not be subscribed.

> >> but surely the developers of
> >> software developed mainly in response to the spamming industry ought to
> >> be following best practice.
> >
> > Best practice is to have a challenge system set up for subscribing.
> That's
> > been done.
>
> But this is not about preventing people from getting subscribed, it's
> about
> making it easy for them to unsubscribe when they change their mind.

I don't disagree that there should be something telling them where to find
info on unsubscribing. I like the idea of having it on the page listed in
the url at the bottom.

> >> As long as most MTAs don't expose the List-Unsubscribe: header (none do
> >> by default, as far as I'm aware), it can't be described as "easy to
> use".
> >
> > If you can figure out how to subscribe, you can figure out how to
> > unsubscribe.  It's a standard mailing list, not a one way advertisement.
>
> I can figure it out. I can also figure out the volume of space
> circumscribed by the earth in three months of its orbit.

Which, of course, is more fun.

> The question is not whether I can figure it out, but whether its easy.

It'd be easy for those who want to unsubscribe to simply ask on this list
and have you go do it for them.  But I'm sure that's not what you mean.
Easy is a relative term as you well know.  Put a link at the bottom of the
page and someone will want instructions next time.  Put the instructions at
the bottom of the page and the next person will want an unsubscribe button
they can click.  On and on.

> >> Some  MTAs even make it really hard to find the full message headers.
> >
> > MTA's?  HUH?  Maybe you mean mail clients, mot MTA?
>
> Yes.

Figured. :)

> > Either way, it'd be NICE to put something in the footer, but nothing
> > demands it, it's not a best practices issue and it's certainly not
> > illegal for it not to be there.
>
> Well, as I say it's debatable, but the more I think about it, the more I'm
> convinced that a support mailing list for a product probably does qualify
> as marketing in UK law.

Fortunately, you're not a UK lawyer. Nor am I.  If you'd like to make case
law, go for it.  Until some UK judge says a mailing list set up to support a
product is now a marketing list, it's not.

> Anyway, I don't want to convince anyone of the
> fact, but if we want to avoid reading unsubscribe requests, then we
> definitely need to make the unsubscribe URL more discoverable.

Agreed.   How about: