On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> jim.me...@co.hennepin.mn.us wrote:
>> And some people's email systems, which are moronically locked down by
>> management and admins do NOT let you do anything other than top post. Even
>> though they can.
> In nearly 30 years of running mail systems I have never seen nor heard
> of such a thing. Color me lucky, I guess.

It's rare, but I've heard of it. There is never a good reason for it.
The rationale (sic) goes something like:
1) The management, to prevent liability, always wants the complete,
unmodified original e-mail(s) appended, with no chance that they
could be modified or abbreviated. Think lawyers or governement.... :(
2) Someone decides its a good idea to 'preserve' entire threads of a
conversation within the context of a single e-mail, so that people
who are added to the convsersation at a later date can see all of it.
This latter logic requires an extra bowl of stupid at breakfast, because
they have to decide that there is some 'danger' in leaving open the option
to trim all that quoted verbage....

More often than not, I see this kind of thinking as *policy* but without a
technical restriction to stop people from trimming their mail. But on
systems where the policy is 'enforced' there should still be the ability
to create a fresh new e-mail, and then cut-n-paste only what they want to
quote. I strongly suggest this as a way for anyone stuck with a
policy of 'must top quote without trimming' to deal with it.....

- Charles