Simon Hobson wrote:

And then of course, there's an element of "which language" ?
It's one thing if I can just hit "make clean ; make" and it all works - but
when it doesn't - then being able to at least read whatever language is kinda useful. I
do have some programming experience (done Pascal and PLM/51 in the past, mostly stick to
shell now) - and yes I've managed to tweak a few things in the past when I've had to.

Next week I might well download the source and see what happens.

It is possible to build clam on Sarge (I've just verified that is true).
If your going to try this next week the following may help...

The minimum packages required to build it are (I think):

build-essential
zlib1g
zlib1g-dev

zlib1g-dev will pull in some other packages when it's installed.

grab the source for clam from sourceforge and unpack it.

% tar xzf clamav-0.96.tar.gz

this creates a folder clamav-0.96 in the current directory..

% cd clamav-0.96

use the configure script to configure the installation, the following worked for me:

% ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --with-user=vscan --with-group=vscan

assuming this runs without error

% make

will build clam

% make install

will install everything to /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/sbin

in the source directory there is a directory "etc" which has templates for /etc/clamd.conf and /etc/freshclam.conf but the versions already there may be sufficient.

If you want to test all this before hitting your production server and you have a Windows XP desktop available with sufficient RAM and disc space you could consider grabbing a copy of VMware Server 2.0.2 from www.vmware.com, it's a free download, and building a virtual server running Sarge (this is what I did to run this test).

All the best.

FAS