Eric Rostetter wrote:

Faced with an old release of software that will die if the team uses
new functionality due to a known bug, and people who will not upgrade
to the version that fixes this bug, and a reasonably urgent need to use
the new functionality, what exactly would you have done differently?

They have already answered this.  They would force sourcefire/clamav
to spend lots of time, money, and effort to setup a parallel signature
system; one for older versions, one for newer systems.  They seem to
have no qualm with the idea of making sourcefire/clamav pay this price
so they can use the results free of charge...

OK, how's this then. 9.5.3 (IIRC) came out about the time the notice was published. It costs virtually nothing to add an extra DNS entry, and the release could have had the default server URL changed for Freshclam to fetch updates. it wouldn't even have been a great issue to have a 9.5.4 just for that - and of course the change would be quite prominent in the release notes then as well.

According to the arguments made in support, all responsible/competent admins would have been running this or a later version by the time support for <9.5 was dropped. On that basis, no responsible/competent admin would have been affected by removing the DNS entry used by the older versions. Even if someone was still running a 9,5 version earlier than the one with the update, it would be one tiny change in freshclam.conf to fix it.

Of course, all this would have a prominent entry, not just on the ClanAV homepage, but also on the FAQ page whose URL appears in the freshclam logs.

Come cutoff date, support is dropped for older versions, but they will continue to run. It will not be silent, as freshclam will complain several times a day that it can't get updates. This is a lot different to mentioning in passing that your version isn't current and you might consider upgrading.

So probably even less work than fashioning the poison pill update. Less collateral damage. And these threads would have died several days ago with a "oh, so that's it" !

No parallel signature system at all, in fact no changes at all other than a slight change to a DNS entry.

But I can see how this would be rejected by those who appear religious attitude to there being "only one true way" to run a server.

The biggest problem with this suggestion is that it came after the fact,
so it isn't a useful suggestion.  No one bothered to offer this advice
before the change was made.

Well, if I'd known, I could have suggested the above ! And I probably would have, even if I'd not been running affected software. If any project I *am* involved with suggested such a thing then I would speak up on that.

--
Simon Hobson