Thomas Hochstein wrote:

 > OK, how's this then. 9.5.3 (IIRC) came out about the time the notice
 was published. It costs virtually nothing to add an extra DNS entry,
 and the release could have had the default server URL changed for
 Freshclam to fetch updates. it wouldn't even have been a great issue
 to have a 9.5.4 just for that - and of course the change would be
 quite prominent in the release notes then as well.

Why didn't you suggest that beforehand?

Because, as has been made quite clear beforehand, I did not know this was happening - and I'm far from alone in that. If I had been aware at the right time* then I would have suggested it.

* Note that "right time" does NOT mean spotting the EOL announcement when it was made. That was too late as the decisions had already been made then.

Why didn't you just DO that if you consider it necessary as it "costs
virtually nothing", neither time nor money?

Eh ? Are you suggesting that I have the ability to go back in time and make changes to someone else's DNS and code ?

As for "costs virtually nothing", yes I believe that is a good description of what it would have cost - and don't forget that deciding to EOL and forcibly block older versions was not without cost. Unless the project has some strange ways to make things tedious and difficult to change, then it would probably have cost less in time than the discussions (if there were any) on the ethics of issuing a kill signal to older software.

But it's a moot point - the team didn't do that, we are where we are, and a lot of people are unhappy for various reasons.

--
Simon Hobson