On 4/23/10 10:46 AM, "Dennis Peterson" <denni...@inetnw.com> wrote:

> On 4/23/10 8:41 AM, Jim Preston wrote:
>
>> Just a question, but what time is freshclam running? Most of the time a
>> majority of people run freshclam at the top of the hour which means you
>> are in heavy competition for resources. I have mine set to run via cron
>> at ten minutes after the hour.
>>
>> Jim
>
> You can easily do better regards lockstep with a simple randomizer in your
> script:

I run freshclam as a daemon and use the Checks directive.  Never had a
problem with it.

To avoid the lockstep issue, I always choose an odd number of checks -
usually 47 or 49, which is every half hour +/- about 2 and 1/3 minute.  The
half-hour poling cycle is recommended if you are running safebrowsing
signatures, and the ~2 minute offset rolls me through the clock so I don't
camp out on any particular time.

>From previous e-mails, I recall that Dennis has had trouble with the
daemonized freshclam, so YMMV, but in my experience over the past 5 years or
so on 8 various flavors and ages of Mandriva Linux, I've not experienced a
single problem with freshclam as a daemon.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281