> On 4/23/10 10:46 AM, "Dennis Peterson" <denni...@inetnw.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/23/10 8:41 AM, Jim Preston wrote:
> >
> >> Just a question, but what time is freshclam running? Most of the time a
> >> majority of people run freshclam at the top of the hour which means you
> >> are in heavy competition for resources. I have mine set to run via cron
> >> at ten minutes after the hour.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> > You can easily do better regards lockstep with a simple randomizer in your
> > script:
> >
> I run freshclam as a daemon and use the Checks directive.  Never had a
> problem with it.
>
> To avoid the lockstep issue, I always choose an odd number of checks -
> usually 47 or 49, which is every half hour +/- about 2 and 1/3 minute.  The
> half-hour poling cycle is recommended if you are running safebrowsing
> signatures, and the ~2 minute offset rolls me through the clock so I don't
> camp out on any particular time.

The script solution was targeted to those who choose for what ever reason to
use cron rather than running freshclam as daemon. I used to mirror files that
were updated at odd times and I can tell you that lockstep is a real problem.

I update my signatures twice daily, but I don't have any Windows equipment to
worry about.

My problem with freshclam as a daemon was the need to add yet another daemon
watcher to keep it going, and the presence of a process that 99% of the time
did nothing. And that the wake-up time is based on the startup time and not
clock time.

dp