On 4/28/2010 6:01 AM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

The rsync mirror are defined in the script, not the config file.  However,
you can find the full list of mirrors by executing:

host rsync.sanesecurity.net
It might be worth mentioning this in the docs so other people can
properly configure their firewall if necessary.

Why, are you blocking outbound rsync traffic? If so, after 3 years of maintaining this script and many thousands of users, this is the first time I've heard this request.
Connection to ns.km33603.keymachine.de 87.118.124.191 failed - Trying
next mirror site...
Maybe the site was down at the time the script ran...?
No, I can run rsync right afterwards and it succeeds, like this:

# rsync -v rsync://ns.km33603.keymachine.de/sanesecurity/

Here's the output from the clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh script immediately after:

Sanesecurity mirror site used: ns.km33603.keymachine.de 87.118.124.191

Number of files: 40
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 27032205 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 1318
File list generation time: 0.241 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 34
Total bytes received: 1932

sent 34 bytes  received 1932 bytes  786.40 bytes/sec
total size is 27032205  speedup is 13749.85
Connection to ns.km33603.keymachine.de 87.118.124.191 failed - Trying
next mirror site...

Looks to me like the rsync succeeded, since it received the filelist
and actually received data. Could it instead be saying that it failed
to find an update, and not that it failed to connect?

The script only reports failed to connect if it actually failed to connect, not if there were no updates available.
How can I query clamd to find out which databases it's currently using
to scan files?

ClamD will use every signature database that you have located in your production database directory.
Will amavisd now also pass to it HTML files to scan for bad URLs
within HTML and other email threats?

I don't understand your question, but most likely it depends on your you have configured amavisd.
Is it possible to configure it to log through syslog, instead of to a file
directly?
Not unless you want to edit the script.  I intentionally steered away
from using syslog so as not to pollute any of the existing system log
files, nor did I want to require script users to create a new syslog
facility in order to keep script logging separate.

I was interested in this so I can pass it to a remote log server
instead of having to monitor it locally, and also for buffering (not
that there's a lot of overhead) and for monitoring, so I don't have to
have another script that runs and watch a daemon or additional set of
log files.

Do you have any suggestions? Do you think it's necessary?

Personally, I don't think its necessary. However, you could look at modifying the script to use"logger" if *you* feel it's necessary.
Thanks again for all your work!
You're welcome.

Bill