>>> Why, are you blocking outbound rsync traffic?  If so, after 3 years of
>>> maintaining this script and many
>>> thousands of users, this is the first time I've heard this request.
>>
>> Some of do this by default - set an outbound policy of block and allow
>> specific traffic that's allowed. It
>> means that should a machine get compromised despite all other precautions,
>> it can't* then be used to
>> launch an attack on others (or other servers in your own network) and/or is
>> unable to communicate with
>> it's control centre. Just another layer of security.

Yes, exactly. That which is not expressly permitted is prohibited.

Not only once it's been compromised, but even by a trusted user that
uses rsync to download something from his own remote site to actually
do the compromising (of your system or an other system).

It's one thing on a home system, but quite another on a corporate
network where there is a policy in place.

I think it's more likely that no one has reported it previously,
rather than not implementing it.

Thanks,
Alex