Freddie Cash wrote:
 > Does it first uninstall the existing version?

If it was installed as a .deb package (via dpkg, apt, aptitude, whatever),
then yes.

"dpkg -l | grep clam" will show if it was installed as a deb package - it should show clamav and freshclam as installed. If it lists nothing then they may have been installed manually and the OP will have to figure out how and where they are installed - ideally removing them before installing the new deb packages.

It may be useful to know which Debian version the OP is using - since it it's Lenny he wouldn't have 0.93 installed, and if it's older then there isn't an up to date version in the repositories.

If it's Sarge, then Gianluigi Tiesi posted this back on 16th April, it worked for me on one of my systems :

> Temporary fix for debian sarge, I suggest anyway to upgrade your distribution:
 >
 > download packages from:
 > http://falco.netfarm.it/clamav/clamav-sarge/
 >
 > then
 >
 > /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon stop