Hi there,

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 09/16/11 11:53, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> >
> > Is this one for Mr. Basford, or does it have wider implications?
>
> An IP address is a number between 0 and 2^32 (more or less).
> There are plenty of ways to represent them.

Unless it's an IPV6 address.  Yes, I believe I have seen a couple of
different ways of representing numbers. :)

> Who's to say which ones are obfuscated?

Well in this case, I am. :)  That is, I'm protecting people from
criminals.  I do that all day long, I've been doing it for much more
than a decade, and I'm more than a little tired of it.

> The decimal form is more efficient than the typical dotted-quad, which
> is easier to remember.

I don't think I'll argue the efficiency point on this list.  I don't
remember any of them very well, unfortunately.  Goodness knows what
it'll be like when we're all using IPV6... :(

> You have to convert either to binary to figure out what a bitmask is
> going to do to it.

Nah, after thirty-odd years I can do it in my head with dotted quads. :)

But the point remains, this is a pretty obvious and easy target for
any scanner which is looking for malicious activity, so wouldn't it
make sense to take a shot at it?  I can do something approximating to
what I think is needed with one or other of the Sendmail milters that
I run, but it would probably be a lot more effective (and potentially
a marketing coup) if ClamAV could do it.

--

73,
Ged.