You may be correct, though recalling my command-line options, including
verbose mode, the mbox file is very large, yet the scan took just a few
seconds.    There is no indication that the mbox file is being properly
scanned, and knowing the base64 attachments that appear via xxd and grep, I
have strong doubts the file is being properly checked.

Can anyone with 0.97.7 and a 3 GB mbox file with a known virus, please
verify, and validate, if clamscan -v -d /tmp/virusdat
/path/to/disc/with/files/ yields a hit, along with how long the scan took
in minutes and seconds, and, if all works well, exactly what your command
line string was for the scan?

My mbox file happens to be on a read-only DVD, and must be scanned on it
before the file touches read/write storage.

Thanks.

Scott