Making more progress -

using --scan-mail=yes and --max-scansize=3000M the mbox file is being
"seen", but, as I discovered, and someone posted on a page somewhere, there
is a discrepency between "Data scanned" and "Data read".  Data Scanned
shows about 0.  Data Read shows a more appropriate large value (multi
megabyte).

I then tried to play with --max-filesize= 0, or 1, or 3000M, and now get
"fmap - map allocation failed" for the mbox file.

Thus, it appears to "see" the mbox file, but, based on the Data scanned
field above, there is no strong evidence to claim it is being properly
scanned.

I also tried --tempdir=/path/to/lot-of-space and that didn't seem to do any
good.

Again, clamscan 0.97.7.

Ideas are welcome.  Switches from successful test results also welcome.

Thanks.

Scott