On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:00:00 -0500
clamav-users-requ...@lists.clamav.net wrote:

There are only a few of reasons I can imagine that SSL (OpenSSL)
would be a *required* addition to ClamAV:

1. A "better" way of signing signature downloads than whatever is
   currently done (not sure what that is, if anything).

2. A mechanism to secure the CLAMD port to restrict LAN access
   (pretty far-fetched).

3. A mechanism to encrypt signature downloads so that you have to pay
   if you want the latest and greatest (like for Snort).

4. A mechanism to encrypt signatures to keep them pretty much secret
   from the users of ClamAV.

I would be quite disappointed if ClamAV turned its back on the spirit
of GPL software by charging for signature data (#3 above, like Snort
has done). I would find it quite unacceptable if ClamAV signatures
could no longer even be examined to see what they detect (#4 above),
as this would mean that ClamAV had effectively become Closed Source.