On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Mark Allan <markjal...@blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

> As this is first time ClamAV has had an external dependency, would it be
> worth making it an opt-out configure option for people who can't get it to
> compile or who have to rely on an older/incompatible version of OpenSSL?
>
> Mark

Hey Mark,

I explored that option, but I found attempting to support both too be too
"cludgy". We would need to maintain two separate code paths, brought
together with a shim. There would be a noticeable performance impact along
with added complexity. I settled on outright replacing our current hashing
functions with OpenSSL's in order to keep ClamAV's engine's performance
top-notch and keep complexity at a minimum.

Thanks,

Shawn