We’ll have to wait for the ClamAV signature team to come to work in the AM to
get an official answer, but I’m curious on how you know that all of these
submissions to VirusTotal represent proven threats?  In my experience, many
files uploaded to VT are totally harmless with no scanners detecting them as
infected.

One possibility is that these entries were posted simply to let the submitter
know that a new signature was not required.

Another possible explanation that I’ve seen in the past is that they were
already detected with a current signature, but normally the entry is annotated
with that information.

-Al-