From: clamav-users [mailto:clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net] On Behalf Of
G.W. Haywood
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:31 PM
To: clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV for EnterPrise

Hi there,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017, crazy thinker wrote:

>  - I am looking for  below features in Enterprise Environment
>  -
>  - *Antivirus/Antispyware*
>  - *Desktop Firewall*
>  - *Intrusion Prevention*
>  - *Browser Protection*
>  - *Antivirus for Mac & Linux*
>  - *Device & Application Control*
>  - *Virtualization Features*
>  - *Centralized and Granular Policy Management*

The more questions you ask on this and the development list, the more painfully
obvious it becomes to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.  The
list which you have provided above is garbage; if you took that to a commercial
supplier they would probably fall about laughing after they have sold you a lot
of useless junk and shown you out of the door.

The best thing you can do is get yourself some good training, so that you will
become capable of making rational decisions based on sound (and not crazy)
thinking.  You should expect the training, if pursued full-time, to take at
least a couple of years to get you to the point where you at least know what a
firewall does.  To know how properly to configure one would, if you were no
more than an average pupil in the first course, probably take a couple more
years.  If this sounds a bit like a batchelor's degree in computer science,
that's not far wrong.

The next best thing would be to employ someone competent, but with your current
level of understanding I have no idea how you are going to be able to judge the
competence of a prospective employee.

To give you a rough idea of what level of skill you should be looking for, I
would not allow someone with a new computer science degree to make unsupervised
configuration changes to computer defences until he or she had worked for me
for at least a few months - probably more like a couple of years - so that I
could assess his/her capabilities.
I managed to get a first class honours degree in engineering in 1976, I've been
working with computers for over forty years, and I'm STILL learning new,
interesting and sneaky tricks which could easily eat my lunch if I weren't
careful.  It's a jungle out there, it really is.

If you plan to risk the livelihoods of employees on your own present computer
skills, then I'd have to say I think that is irresponsible, and with the
present threat levels simply begging for trouble.

--

73,
Ged.